Skip to content

JoJoCrews.com

The Prince of Pop Culture

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • Music
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Exclusives
  • Podcast
  • About Jojo Crews
  • Contact
  • Home
  • News
  • Steve Harvey’s ‘Sand and Soul Festival’ Will No Longer Take Place In The Dominican Republic Amid Safety Concerns/U.S. Tourist Deaths
  • News

Steve Harvey’s ‘Sand and Soul Festival’ Will No Longer Take Place In The Dominican Republic Amid Safety Concerns/U.S. Tourist Deaths

Crews June 21, 2019 3 min read

Share this:

  • Tweet
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
213
SHARES
   
image via Steve Harvey Instagram

Following a slew of unexplained and alarming deaths of American tourists in the Dominican Republic over the past few weeks (and year), comedian/host Steve Harvey has decided to move his third annual Sand and Soul Festival out of the DR where it is normally held.

Although the event is just months away, the organizers are reportedly looking for a new destination and have notified attendees that the festivities are still on–just at a soon to be announced destination.

via The Grio:

Insider.com is reporting that an email sent Thursday to ticket holders by festival organizers said that the event location would be changing from the Hard Rock Resort at at Punta Cana, D.R., to a new locale that will be announced soon.

“There has been a lot of negative media in the recent weeks surrounding the Dominican Republic and its safety for tourists to travel. We want you to know that higher than anything, we regard your safety as most important. This is why it has been an easy decision for us to move the Sand & Soul Festival out of the Dominican Republic this year,” Morgan Hawthorne, executive producer of the event wrote in an email to ticket buyers. She noted that they are trying to provide customers “with a travel experience that is equal to, if not superior to the quality you would have received at the Hard Rock Resort.”

Harvey’s team had earlier said that guest safety was of the highest priority but had not made any announcements publicly about moving the event. When contacted by theGrio, a representative of the Sand and Soul Jazz Festival declined comment, saying only that an official update would be released next week.

Harvey’s festival was planned for Oct. 10-14 and slated to be “The Ultimate Columbus Day Getaway featuring an All Inclusive 5 Star Resort with Action Packed Events.” Scheduled entertainment included singers Anthony Hamilton and Ginuwine, plus live comedy shows.

Including the two U.S. tourists have died while at the Hard Rock resort, at least nine people have been found dead or killed under dubious circumstances while visiting the nation, which shares the Caribbean island of Hispaniola with Haiti, located to the west.

A Dominican Republic official downplayed the deaths as coincidences, calling them “fake news,” according to The New York Post.

“It’s all a hysteria against the Dominican Republic, to hurt our tourism, this is a very competitive industry and we get millions of tourists, we are a popular destination,” Carlos Suero, the Dominican Republic’s Ministry of Public Health spokesman told Fox News in an interview.“People are taking aim at us.”

He maintains that tests of liquor, food and areas involved with the deaths came back negative. The U.S. State Department has said that it is monitoring the situation.

Smart move!

Trending Stories

Dr. Cheyenne Bryant Addresses Growing Credentials Controversy During Appearance on The Marissa Mitchell Show [Video]

  • Crews
  • May 14, 2026
  • 0

Album Stream: Chris Brown Drops 12th Studio Album BROWN — 27-Tracks ft. Tank, Bryson Tiller, Leon Thomas, GloRilla, Sexyy Red, Lucky Daye & More!

  • Crews
  • May 8, 2026
  • 0

‘Love & Hip Hop’ Ending After 15 Years: Final Seasons of Atlanta & Miami Air as 6-Part “Final Chapter” Reunion Special Set for 2026

  • Crews
  • May 2, 2026

Must See: Chris Brown Drops Sinners Inspired ‘Fallin’ Video ft. Leon Thomas [Starring Usher, Tank & More]

  • Crews
  • May 1, 2026

Album Stream: Durand Bernarr Drops BERNARR. ft. Khalid, Big Sean, Sevyn Streeter, Vic Mensa & More — Contributions by Raphael Saadiq, Kandi Burruss, Bryan-Michael Cox & More!

  • Crews
  • May 1, 2026

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Continue Reading

Previous: Cardi B Becomes First Female Rapper To Be Named Songwriter of the Year at ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Awards [Video]
Next: New Video: Trina ‘On His Face’ feat. LightSkinKeisha+Dishes on City Girls, Nicki Minaj, LHHM Drama, New Album & More at ‘Breakfast Club’
WATCH PODCAST
  • Advertise
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Jojo Crews
  • Contact
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Youtube
  • TikTok
  • Instagram
Copyright © All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.

Loading Comments...

    %d